Sunday 31 January 2010

Bates Pit Ponds

Had a wander around the settlement pools at Bates Pit today with my dog and it was alive with birds.


As I entered the site I spotted a Robin and a Wren sitting in the blackberry bushes then I heard the call of Fieldfare but from this point I couldn't see any. As we headed along the path we spooted some Bullfinch both males and females in a bush eating the orange berries (not sure what plant they are.)


Eventually I stumbled across the fieldfare and there are lots probably about 70 - 100 in one flock, stunning birds but they were rather shy I could've done with a 2x extender on my 400mm lens.



The usual other birds were also present - a couple of Redwing, curlew, kingfisher, gulls, heron, mute swan, moorhen, redshank, blackbirds, thrushes and spuggys with a single skylark too.



2 comments: