Saturday 12 February 2011

Godwits, Sanderling and Pale Bellied Brent Geese

Headed out to Holy Island this morning in horrible weather but relying on the forecasters saying bright spells by midday.

When we arrived the weather was far from good with very little light, no where near enough for the camera so we headed off into the dunes to look for SEO's. No sign of SEO's apart from a couple of fresh owl pellets. We continued on till we got onto the sands where we found several godwits and other waders unfortunatley they were very easily spooked and just not willing to play.

We continued onwards towards the Lough hide were Keith spotted the pale bellied brent geese in the field just behind the hide. (We guessed at around 500 of them.).

After covering most of the populated end of the island we decided to call it a day and headed back to our car without getting many pictures.

On the way back I decided to try a couple of sandy places I know of as the sun had broken through the clouds. All the images I managed are very poor due to bad exposure (my fault!)

I've never know godwits be so tame as they were today. Great fun to photograph.

Hope you enjoy.











2 comments:

  1. Hi all,

    Nice pictures! These birds are flying towards sky. Looking so funny. Enjoy it......

    Wildlife Photographer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention my Brent in flight shot is infact a dark bellied Brent which I've been made to believe are rather rare in northumberland.

    ReplyDelete