Sunday 6 March 2011

Eiders, Seals & Octopus!

I had an unusual day at Blyth quayside today.

Called in with Nicola, James & Amy so James could feed the gulls, Its one of his favourite things to do :-)

When we arrived I spotted someone with a 7D and 100-400, It was Keith so drove over next to him for a chat. After chatting we fed the birds while Keith took advantage of our bread and photographed a few gulls.

The Eiders were looking very nice today in the sunshine.




As we fed the birds Keith shouted over to tell us about a seal coming into the river from down stream so we watched as it came up and started feeding happily just a few meters out from the quay side. I didn't have my long lens with me so we popped back home to get it and when we got back it was still feeding away in front of us.


I managed a few images of it 'floating' about like a log then caught something very unusual for Blyth, it surfaced with what appears to be an octopus! or perhaps a squid?

I'm saying octopus! but will be happy to be corrected if i'm wrong.






Incase anyone is wondering about the tropical looking water colours these are created by the Arklow Meadow ship and the Alcan unloading facility which casts a gorgeous green and orange tint into the river on sunny days like today.



1 comment:

  1. Yep, definitely octopus, Mark - and damn' good pictures: I ended up with nothing more than a handful of bog-standard Gull In Flight shots!

    ReplyDelete